On March 13, 2020, CDC updated the Interim Laboratory Biosafety Guidelines for Handling and Processing Specimens Associated with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) page on the Information for Laboratories website. The revisions include recommendations for:
- Following Standard Precautions when handling all clinical specimens
- Using automated instruments and analyzers
- Point-of-care testing (POCT)
- Using EPA-registered disinfectants with label claims for SARS-CoV-2
- Following routine practices and procedures for management of laboratory waste
The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about laboratory biosafety and COVID-19 are in the process of being updated to align with the new Interim Laboratory Biosafety Guidelines for Handling and Processing Specimens Associated with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Another LOCS message will be sent once the update to the FAQs page has been completed.
- CDC 2019 Novel Coronavirus Laboratory Biosafety
- CDC Information for Laboratories: COVID-19
- CDC 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- International Air Transport Association (IATA) Dangerous Goods Regulation
- IATA Packing Instructions 650
- Register for CDC Health Alert Network (HAN) notifications, including updates about the 2019 Novel Coronavirus. Enter your email address, search for HAN, and sign-up
If you have any questions, please contact us at LOCS@cdc.gov.